Shikakai is an ayurvedic herb that’s been used in traditional Indian hair care since ancient times. The fruit pods, leaves, and bark from the acacia concinna tree are dried and ground into a powder. That powder is then made into a paste and used as a super nurturing hair cleanser. It is chock-full of natural detergents, botanical fruit acids, and nourishing agents.
The natural foaming agents in shikakai will lather gently and cleanse mildly–this will prolong the life of your henna hair color. The fruit acids safely detox the follicles and scalp; they reset normal hair pH and deter dandruff. High levels of glucose and vitamins nourish the scalp. Shikakai is super gentle and safe for sensitive skin or scalps. The low-lather environment maintains all essential hair and scalp oils. It reduces the need for conditioners, while smoothing frays and split-ends. The gentle nourishing environment prevents and heals scalp irritation and dandruff.
If you’ve just colored your hair or are thinking about it, don’t worry! Shikakai is best used the week after applying your henna-based hair color. It can be used before coloring to help the natural pigments adhere better to your hair. It can be used daily, and won’t strip pigments.
Are you wondering if shikakai is right for you? In our opinion, it’s perfect for:
- Anybody with a sensitive or dry scalp.
- Anybody looking to gently clean, detox, and nourish hair & scalp.
- pH restoration for dandruff relief and oily hair issues.
- No-poo hair cleaning regimens (very low, super gentle lather).
Thinking about trying shikakai? We may be biased, but ours is the best!
- Organically grown & seasonally hand-harvested in indigenous hearty soils.
- Milled to a fine powder to allow maximum, predictable treatment release.
- Hand-sifted three times to a uniform texture for best application.
- Vacuum-sealed & light-sealed to preserve potency, purity, and freshness.
And of course it is Always Cruelty-Free. Never Tested on Animals.
NO added chemicals, preservatives or perfumes—just pure natural goodness!