Henna Beard Dye Application
♥ IMPORTANT: 1) Avoid direct contact with mouth. 2) If dye gets into mouth, rinse and spit with cool water and contact your physician if any irritation or nausea. 3) Do not apply the dyes over broken skin or open wounds on the face or neck. 4) For external use only—do not use for body art tattoos. Recommended to spot test the skin to ensure no allergic response. See bottom of page for details.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS (BEARD DYE):
GUYS: This is a safe and simple process. Please read through everything below before starting.
1 pack colors average beard up to 5+ times — or colors short hair & beard at the same time. →
1. CLEAN BEARD WELL
Facial hair holds more natural oil than hair on your head and food/drink/moisturizer residue tends to linger on the whiskers. All decrease beard dyeing quality. You have to cleanse the whole beard-area thoroughly. An all natural high-lather soap is recommended for proper cleaning.
- Build thick lather.
- Wash beard-area twice.
- Gentle washcloth or soft face brush recommended (don’t irritate the skin surface).
- Pat dry all facial hair to remove excess water. Slightly damp whiskers are best.
2. MIX PROPER AMOUNT
- Mix what you need only. Length and thickness determine amount:
Mustache = 1 rounded tbsp.
Goatee = 2 rounded tbsp.
Full Beard = 2 to 4 rounded tbsp.
*tbsp = Tablespoon
- Use small bowl and spoon to mix.
- Add enough hot water (approx 120º F) to make a paste resembling thick pudding or cake batter.
- Mix very well. The paste should be thick enough to adhere but thin enough to spread.
- Store extra dry powder in air-tight bag/container and in a cool dry place.
NOTE: Excess mixed paste must be discarded (expires rapidly, zero preservatives).
TIP: Colors with indigo (all black & brown dyes) may benefit from little stand time prior to application.
After mixing, allow paste to stand for 10 minutes*—no longer. Mix well again (no extra water), and apply.
*May help deepen the stain by pre-oxidizing the indigo.
3. COVER ALL WHISKERS
- Use included glove to apply paste to whiskers.
- Start from mustache and work down to chin and then up to sideburns.
- Spread generously through all whiskers—cover them completely.
- Leave on for one hour.
- Rinse clean with warm water only.
- No soap on beard for 12-24 hours—just use warm water.
- Avoid washcloth on face for 2 days.
Remember: It’s 100% natural. No added perfumes. Earthy scent will fade after rinsing.
NOTE: Be sure to immediately wipe off excess paste from areas not being dyed. Light facial stains will fade naturally in a few hours. If left on exposed skin for longer than 10 minutes, it can take days to completely fade.
TIP: Prevent skin stains by placing a light, finger-width coat of petroleum jelly around facial hair pattern before dyeing. Or simply use lip balm and trace outside your hair pattern (do not touch whiskers in either option).
♥ Allow a few hours for initial color expression.
Pigment matures for 24-48 hrs. Additional applications will deepen color.
Undertones can range from light red to green to blue before fully maturing—very normal (most blend within hours).
STUBBORN GRAY BEARDS:
If your whiskers are stubborn and resist the above process, there’s still hope.
A double process may do the trick: You’re going to apply two back to back applications. Thirty minutes apart.
Follow the application steps above and modify with this…
- Apply to beard and leave on for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, rinse off with warm water only and remix fresh paste.
- Immediately reapply to beard and leave on for additional 30-45+ minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and wait normal transition period (12-24 hrs).
HAIR & BEARD (SAME TIME):
You can safely apply to hair and beard at the same time.
See “Henna Hair Dye Application” for complete hair application details.
One packet easily colors standard length guys hair and beard.
- Wash hair and face twice.
- Mix enough product for hair and beard.
- Apply to hair first and cover with shower cap (included).
- Then apply to beard.
- Wait set time and then rinse both off.
HOW TO STRAND & SPOT TEST:
STRAND TEST: Mix a small amount of the product and color an inconspicuous strand of hair or some harvested hair from your comb or brush.
Remember, make the sample the consistency of pudding and wait the appropriate transition period to see best results (48 hours).
SPOT TEST: Locate a safe place on your skin (behind ear, forearm) to spot test for allergies. Apply mixed paste to skin, wait ten minutes, observe.
If any skin irritations occur, do not continue with the hair/beard dye application.