HENNA COLOR LAB™
HENNA & HENNA-HERBAL HAIR DYE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
Standard Hair, Gray Hair (Roots), & Root Touch-Ups
STANDARD HAIR APPLICATION
Before Application: Wash hair TWICE with a high-lather shampoo. No conditioner or style products.
Hair can be Dry or Towel Dry, but not Wet. Wear smock or old towel over shoulders.
*Always perform a strand/spot test before full application & read below completely Before starting.
1. MIX & PREPARE
- Use quart size mixing bowl per 3.5oz packet(100g) and a spoon to mix.
- Cover any surfaces that may stain: untreated wood, carpet, fabric, etc.
- Pour henna powder into bowl. One packet colors straight, shoulder length hair (approx).
- Add hot, not boiling, water (approx 122º F) gradually to the powder.
- Note: There’s no exact amount of water to add. Add little at a time to get an applicable paste consistency.
Similar to pudding or ketchup consistency.
- Prepare hair for dye treatment. Divide hair into four sections: Front, L&R sides, Back.
2. APPLY COLOR
- Apply directly to hair using gloved hand or hair dye brush.
- Using gloved hand, scoop & apply the paste on back section (if crumbly, add water).
- From root of hair, work evenly to top of hair. Try for complete, even coverage.
- Methodically apply from back to front section. Take your time. Massage well into hair.
- When done, cover head with included plastic cap. Leave on for 1 to 2 hours.
- Note: Longer = Deeper Color, Better Herbal Conditioning.
3. RINSE & CONDITION
- Rinse out thoroughly (NO Shampoo) until all product removed. Then use conditioner.
- Note: Be patient. Rinsing may take a little while. Conditioner will help removal.
- Blow dry hair for 10-15 minutes to accelerate natural color-changing process.
- Remember: It’s natural, no added perfumes. The paste has an earthy plant-based scent.
You can add fragrance oil or personal perfume to hair after rinsed out & blow-dried.
- Avoid shampooing for 24 hours. Avoid leave-in conditioners for at least one week.
- Henna-based dyes will take up to 48 hours to express true colors and undertones.
- Undertones can range from light red to green to blue before fully maturing. Very normal. (most blend within hours)
- Base color sets up after rinse and dry—You’ll be safe to leave the house (simply matures & deepens over 48 hours).
- If you missed spots or messed up, you can reapply as often as you like. It’s 100% natural!
EXISTING GRAY ROOTS (OR LIGHT- COLORED ROOTS) FULL-APPLICATION PROCESS
If you currently have Gray Roots or Light-Colored Roots, then perform the following steps…
1. Mix enough product (powder & water) to cover your gray/light-colored roots only. (typically less than quarter packet: 2 tbsp)
2. Apply directly to root area only. From roots, work evenly to end of gray/light-color hair growth. Leave on for one hour.
We’re setting a base to best match roots to existing hair color.
3. Rinse out completely with water only (DO NOT USE shampoo OR conditioner at this stage—still need to apply full application).
4. Then mix and apply the remaining product on entire head (including roots again).
IMPORTANT: One packet colors straight, shoulder length hair. Process above may require 2 packets for longer or thicker hair.
5. Follow Standard Hair Application directions from this point (see website, back of your HCL™ product, or included instructions).
Gray hair may take multiple applications for truest color. Best results after 3+ treatments.
(see Complete Gray Hair Application Page HERE)
As you repeat—can do as often as you like—100% Safe & Natural—the color quality & treatment benefits will only improve.
ROOT TOUCH-UPS (only) PROCESS
(for between full treatments: All Root Colors: Gray, Light, Dark)
Use one quarter(2 tbsp) to a half a package(4 tbsp)* of your previous full-application color and follow the “ROOT”steps above.
*use enough product as a paste to cover your exposed gray/light-colored/dark-colored roots only. Store excess. Dry & Airtight.
Stop after step # 3. Rinse-out with conditioner (NO Shampoo). You’re done.